11 Feb ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA TO ENTER IN CA-FOUNDATION COURSE
What is CA-Foundation?
Chartered accountancy course is divided into three stages – CA Foundation (CAF) earlier known as CPT, CA Intermediate (CA Inter.) or earlier known as IPCC and CA Final. CA – Foundation Course is the entry level stage of one’s journey to become a Chartered Accountant.
ICAI (Institute for Chartered Accountants of India) is the governing body which conducts and regulates selection process as well as certification of Chartered Accountants in India.
CA Foundation has been started recently by ICAI and it is a national level examination. Exams for the CA Foundation are held twice a year in May and November.
Effective from 1 July 2017, ICAI changed the curriculum of Chartered Accountancy Course. In this new curriculum CA – CPT Course was replaced by CA – Foundation course. CA Foundation exam is conducted in four days where one paper is held on each day.
After appearing in Class 12th examinations, students can enroll for the CA Foundation course.
Subjects covered in Foundation Course
Here are the subjects which are a part of CA – Foundation Curriculum.
Paper-1: Principles and Practice of Accounting (100 Marks)
Paper-2: Business Law & Business Correspondence and Reporting (100 Marks)
Section A: Business Law (60 Marks)
Section B: Business Correspondence and Reporting (40 Marks)
Paper-3: Business Mathematics and Logical Reasoning & Statistics (100 Marks)
Part I: Business Mathematics and Logical Reasoning (60 Marks)
Part II: Statistics (40 Marks)
Paper-4: Business Economics & Business and Commercial Knowledge (100 Marks)
Part I: Business Economics (60 Marks)
Part II: Business and Commercial Knowledge (40 Marks)
Points to Remember
- Paper -1 and Paper-2 are subjective papers.
- Paper-3 and Paper-4 are objective type papers with negative marking.
- The Board of Studies issues comprehensive study materials covering all four subjects.
Passing criteria in Foundation Examination
For passing CA – Foundation examination the candidate must obtain minimum of 40% marks in each paper and a minimum of 50% marks overall in total of all the papers. Remember, the criterion also includes negative marking.
CA Foundation – Eligibility Criteria
There are certain conditions for appearing in CA – Foundation. A student can register after:
- Clearing Class 12th Examination – When someone has appeared in Senior Secondary (10+2) Examination conducted via an examining authority which is approved by India Law.
- Clearing 10+2 Equivalent Exam – When a candidate has cleared in an examination which is accepted by the Central Government or the State Government as equal to 12th Class examination.
- Registering with ICAI – Students should register in ICAI’s Board of Studies till:
- 31st day of December Previous Year – For May attempt in CA Foundation Exam.
- 30th day of May of Current Year – For November attempt in CA Foundation Exam.
CA Foundation Registration Procedure
Here is how you can register for CA – Foundation.
- Generating form
To get the print out of the form:
- Go to the ICAI portal (https://www.icai.org/new_post.html?post_id=721&c_id=120)
- Through the Course registration forms option go to students tab and do the necessary payments.
- The required form will be automatically generated for printing once the payment is successful.
- Documents Required for Registration:
Submit the form which is signed by candidate within 7 days with the these documents –
- Attested photocopy of the Admit Card/Mark-sheet of class 12th examination allotted by the respective board.
- Paste the latest colored photo on the hard copy of this form.
- Attested photocopy of proof of Nationality is necessary if the student is citizen of another country or if he/she is an NRI (Non – Resident Indian).
- For candidates of ST/SC/OBC/Disabled individuals, it is required to submit an attested copy of Cast/Disability Certificate.
- Attested photocopy of 10th Mark-sheet/Admit card which shows the Name and Date of Birth of the candidate.
Points to Remember
- Registration is not a one-time process.
- Registration for the Foundation course has three years validity. By submitting a nominal fee, the registration can be renewed any number of times till further three years.